Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Brenda Miller the Biker Babe

A few days ago, we interviewed Heather's ITE 115 professor Brenda Miller. Mrs. Miller is probably one of the coolest people ever. Check out our interview!



What courses have you taught at John Tyler?
I teach ITE 115 which is just Basic Computer Literacy. Two online courses: Intro to Internet Services and Web Design I and II. I also teach Math 02 and Math 120. Years ago I taught C++ and Visual Basic, but I haven’t dome those in a while.
What is your favorite subject to teach and why?
I love my ITE 115’s. I love them. But mostly because I love the students. I hate all the grading I have to do in it. It takes forever. And I really love my math course because I get to use the same book more than two or three semesters in a row which is amazing considering we change the ITE books every year. 
In general, what goals do you have for your students?
Computer comfort. The ability to adapt to whatever technology that comes along. And sort of on the side, confidence. Having had kids myself I guess I know that students at this age, typically a range of 18-23, a lot of times do not know what they are doing. They just kind of roll with the punches. I like to get to know a little bit more about the student. Just to talk to them about what they want to do see if they have a passion that they have not discovered that I could push them towards. I like to just kind of help them along because I was one that did not have a straight passion for a long time. It would have been nice to have had someone there to talk to me about my likes and dislikes.
You know I realized there are scholarships. Somebody has to get them... might as well be you. You know? Like, what is your story? 
What are some of your hobbies outside of teaching? 
I read. I walk like a maniac. My family is huge, huge, huge in all kinds of ways. Um... I ride a motorcycle, I do. I almost rode it work today. I’m no biker babe but I ride. You know, I ride a mini van or a motorcycle... 
What kind of motorcycle?
A Suzuki 800 intruder. Candy apple red. She is so cute; Susie is her name. She does well. I’m not hardcore though. 
What’s your favorite thing about Richmond?
My favorite thing in richmond is that there is so much going on. I grew up in northern Virginia and I mean you’d here about different things going on but it was just kind of so big that you avoided it. But you know,something could be happening in the west end and it’s no big deal. Just hope in the car and drive. There will not be much traffic and people are pretty normal. Richmond City is pretty much taboo for me because my husband was a Richmond City cop. I’m very familiar with Richmond though. Richmond is very doable. 
Anything else you want us to include?
Well, I have very strong feelings toward John Tyler. I’ve worked here since 1994, and I absolutely love this place and the people that work here. It’s a family place; we struggle together and we celebrate together. We do everything together! We are very close. John Tyler is a wonderful place to work, and I adore my students. I kind of instantly fall in love every semester. I really, really adore the students. I really do. 

Here she is!


SHE IS A BIKER, YOU GUYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment